In 1938, the brothers Hermann and Wilhelm Schmidt founded the company
to supply high-precision parts to the clock industry, the most typical
of Black Forest industries at that time. The entry of Hans Schmidt
into the business in 1952 gave the small company the impetus it
required to transform itself into a full-scale industrial enterprise
and to undertake the decisive move away from the clock industry
to the manufacture of writing instruments.
In 1969, Rolf Schmidt became Managing Director with special responsibility
for technology and has played an important part in the continuing
development of the company ever since. The changes initiated within
the company not only assured its survival during the structural
transformation of the seventies, but also created the new business
division Machines (1964) in 1964. The production of writing systems
with their tiny tolerances demands highly accurate machinery and
equipment. As these were not available on the market in the type
and quality required, SCHMIDT Technology was forced to develop
and build them itself.
This "department", originally intended to supply the company's
own requirements, has grown into a self-confident and highly successful
division of SCHMIDT Technology, which has gained a reputation
all of its own on the world market.
The Sensor division was created in 1983 to produce a piezoelectric
acceleration sensor for use as the triggering element in the belt-tightening
mechanism in cars. This was a product which could only be manufactured
by specialists guaranteeing highest precision in large quantities
over long periods of time. This field has been occupied by electronics
and microsystems technology for years now, which has given rise
to new highly complex sensor systems.
The fourth generation of the SCHMIDT family is working in
the company in responsible management position for many years now.